Training needs assessments is an umbrella term for a variety of efforts aimed at determining what type of training is needed by the employees of a company or group(s) within the company.
Assessments can be large or small, time consuming or short-term, broad or narrow (in terms of audience) and general or specific (in terms of subject matter.) What’s critical in conducting any assessment is that it is properly focused and conducted with the correct audience. In other words, asking the right questions of the right people. While experts have role to play in identifying training needs, the most critical group are the learners themselves. Without their input, the value of any assessment drops significantly.
Benefits of a needs assessment
- Accurately identifying who needs to learn what
- Minimizing waste of training resources by developing specific training materials/teaching only what needs to be learned
- Builds support/credibility for the training function
Why Conduct A Training Needs Assessment?
Can Your Company Afford To Forego A Training Needs Assessment?
Our services enable you to:
- Develop a focused needs assessment
- Recognize when training is NOT a solution
- Avoid unnecessary training and train only when necessary
- Identify unknown or confirm suspected performance problems
- Describe what people are not doing correctly or efficiently that must be improved to increase productivity, response time, customer satisfaction, etc.
- Elicit sensitive feedback using a neutral, third-party
Consider a needs assessment if you are concerned about:
- Ensuring the correct focus (content and audience) of your training
- Increasing the effectiveness of your training
- Identifying performance-based problems that can be addressed through training
- Ensuring training actually corrects/prevents/alleviates performance problems
- Ensuring learning is actually transferred to the job/workplace