Session Length Options: 120 minutes
Creativity is an essential skill for the foreseeable future. Too many teams go negative by lamenting that “there’s not enough time, resources, or money” to surmount the challenge they face. But, by busting assumptions, discovering new uses for current offerings, and seeking novel approaches, a revitalized world of possibilities emerges. Who has done more with seemingly little…MacGyver. We’ll leverage his ability to craft novel ways to solve sticky problems and apply that mindset to business issues. When you think like MacGyver, there’s always a way!
Managers, team leaders, and team members.
The crux of the issue is that many people only see “what is” and lock into that mindset, rather than thinking about what “might be.” Most children score in the high 90th percentile of creativity metrics. However, by the time an individual exits a four-year university, the educational system has extinguished most of their creativity…testing in the single digits.
Higher education presumes there is one right answer. The rapid pace of business demands fast action. Being in motion – working the problem – is more valued than bringing innovation to the party. In fact, there are many good, usable answers. This is true only when we have a playful, adaptable mindset. There is an urgent need for individuals and teams to bust some of the assumptions that are restraining new and novel thinking.
To Learn to…
- How to develop an agile mindset
- Diverge to seek more wild and novel ideas (Stretching what is possible)
- Teach tools that help reverse the assumptions we impose on ourselves
- Generate new ideas and build on the ideas of others
- Create new solutions to real-world challenges and opportunities
- Overview of the session
- Deliver the MacGyver-like business-related challenge
- Practice using several tools that enable an agile adaptable mindset
- Breakout into creative teams
- Practice divergent brainstorming
- Conduct multiple rounds of new ideas
- Converge on a hybrid of “MacGyver-like” high potential solutions
- Create a name and pitch for your strongest solution
- Present solutions and judge their creativity, business potential, and innovation
- Award the winning pitch teams
- Debrief the success factors that foster an agile, adaptable mindset