Need help running effective meetings? Trust TrainSMART to run an on-site Meeting Facilitation Workshop.
If there is one thing most organizations have in common with every other business regardless of their sector, size or mission is that employees probably attend a lot of meetings.
The statistics are staggering. Each day in the U.S. there is 25 million meetings. About 15% of an organization’s collective time is spent in meetings, and that percentage is growing.
On average, a middle manager can expect to spend about 35% of their time attending meetings while upper management spends at least half of their day, if not more, attending meetings.
Anecdotally, many report that their days are filled with back-to-back meetings that would not necessarily be a problem if people believed the meetings were productive.
Executives say that nearly 70% of the meetings they attend are unproductive and that good meeting facilitation is lacking. The major culprits:*
- meeting organizers don’t plan or have a structure for a meeting
- participants multi-task throughout the meeting
- virtual participants are not engaged
The fact that employees see meetings as unproductive is not new news. The problem is despite the blistering reviews; it seems that businesses don’t know how to change their meeting-intensive cultures.
That’s where TrainSmart can help! We provide organizations with meeting facilitation training.
Our meeting facilitation workshops offer practical and easy to implement strategies. By attending these workshops, participants will learn how to plan and make their meetings productive.
They will also learn how to reduce the number of meetings each employee attends and how to make the ones they do attend shorter, more engaging, and participative and productive.
*Source: Infographic:The Ugly Truth About Meetings, The Fuse
- Lack of planning for effective meetings
- Unproductive meetings
- Unclear goals, purpose and focus
- Meeting interruptions and tangents
- Lack of participation
- No decisions, action items or follow-up
- Understand the elements of productive meetings
- Understand the cost of a meeting
- Consistently use a meeting process for greater success
- Improve facilitation skills
- Use various tools to assist with meeting effectiveness and follow-up
- Manage interruptions and stay focused
- Create an Action Plan
Meeting Facilitation Training Course Outline
- Elements of Productive Meetings
- The Cost of a Meeting: Justifying the meeting costs, identifying other ways to get the information
- The Meeting Process (in person and virtual): Plan, Start, Facilitate, Close, Follow-up
- Planning: Setting Goals, Using an Agenda, Communicating Expectations, Identifying the Participants
- Starting: Restating goals, Setting Ground Rules, Assigning Roles, Appreciating Participants
- Facilitation Techniques: Encourage participation, Ask Questions, Manage Conflict, Staying Focused
- Facilitation Tools: The Parking Lot, Flip Charts, PowerPoint
- Web Conferencing Best Practices
- Closing: Summarizing the meeting, Assigning Action Items and Due Dates,
- Follow-up: Sending Meeting Notes, Adding follow-up dates on calendar, Accountability
- Applying Skills: Create an action plan
Effective Meeting Essentials is available in the following formats:
- Face-to-Face Half-Day Training Workshop
- Face-to-Face Full Day Training Workshop
- Multi-Session Webinar
- Team Leaders
- Human Resources
- Anyone who is responsible for facilitating or attending meetings.
Question This Page Answers
- What company’s provide meeting facilitation training?
- How to be good meeting facilitator?
- What are the best practices for meeting facilitation?
- What is meeting facilitation?
- How to improve meeting facilitation skills?
Need On-Site Group Training?
Ready to discuss your on-site meeting facilitation skills training for your team? Schedule a call 800-807-8030 or fill out the form so we can learn more about each other and determine if we are a good fit.